Friday, September 30, 2011

Today's "Aha" moment

Ok, so this has been wondering in my mind all afternoon. I consider myself a social butterfly. This is no exaggeration. I get along with people very well and enjoy myself in social settings. I almost never have awkward moments and can redirect strange conversations or incidents so that everyone feels comfortable. I also make friends easily. Do ya get the point? Because I would hate to sound like I am bragging. OK.

But today I realized that, that I might be losing that quality (if you are choose to call it that). A friend asked me to an accompany him to an occasion and here's how I responded (I am copy pasting this from an email I sent him in response to his offer) :

It sounds like it might be fun, but here's the truth about how these things turn out. I'm always super busy, and seem to be like a year behind on catching up with dinners with friends (I know this might seem like an exaggeration, but I promise you, it is not). I have friends I have promised to have dinner with a year ago, who still hold it over my head. :)
so I highly doubt it will happen


As I was typing my response, I realized how socially handicapped I have become, most definitely a result of my Pre-med ways.
Is it the stress of always wanting to stay home and do just a little bit more reading? Could it be that I can not befriend someone who does not share the busy life that I live? I can list more than 20 names of people that I should have met with this past year, even if it was just for a few minutes. Maybe I should just stop thinking I will actually meet up with anyone for anything. Win - Win, don't you think?

Or I can continue to make excuses, trust me there are plenty legit ones: MCAT, Medschool Apps, Mammalian physiology...need I go on?

That said, I simply remind myself that I choose to be where I am and what I do :)





No comments:

Post a Comment