Monday, September 12, 2011

Here's one for Pre-meds

What a weekend!

There was nothing to do, yet it was exhausting. I could go on and on about how much I ate and drank at the New Years party yesterday but I'll do all of us a favor and say that it was a great celebration. Yes, the Ethiopian New Year is the same day as 9/11, a very troubling coincidence, but both days are "etched in stone" so to speak and just like you can not change what happened on September 11th, I highly doubt the Ethiopian Calendar will gain or loose a day and change the day of New Years. It's really weird, especially for those of us who live in the U.S and really appreciates what it means to live here. I mention this because when I told a friend that our new years was yesterday, he asked me why we had chosen to celebrate it on 9/11. (C'mon do ya really think we started to celebrate new years after that horrible day. NO! We did celebrated the year 2004, and not 10...so there's your proof)

So to all my Habesha readers: Happy 2004! (Please do not ask me why we are nearly 8 years behind...look it up, there's alot of different calendars out there :D)

That said, back to my Pre-med whining about not doing anything this weekend, and I mean nothing! ....Obviously not because I was busy, in fact I wanted so much to be busy, to read ahead for all my classes and sort of celebrate the Fall semester-Pre-med style (haha, more like geek style). But that didn't work out because I didn't have anything to do for my classes, nor was there anything really interesting in the books. I spent nearly two hours trying to keep busy, then I just gave up and started reading RAPT (that book I told you about in my last post), so far it proves to be engaging.

Anyway, this morning I woke up after 8 hours of sleep (haven't done that in a while) dehydrated and exhausted and went to school only to find that I really could have slept through my first class. C'mon people engage me :(

After lunch I had my first Mammalian Physiology Lab-lecture, now there's a class that knows how to engage me. 50 minutes in that class and I walked out thinking, I need to read. YES! YES! YES!

That made my day.
Then...I had my beginners jogging class, and oh my GOD! I was the only beginner in that class. I was jogging at a steady pace, but you should see the rest of the class, I saw them twice in each lap. I was contemplating dropping the class and signing up for yoga. Ofcourse I'm not going to. I don't give up, I'm not a quitter, I signed up so I can adopt a running habit and I'm going to see it through. (There's another Pre-med moment for you, this one was a very embarrassing one though. It's like asking what a cell is in Cellular Neurophysiology).

Ok, so enough whining, I'm about to go rock climbing for the first time EVER! Yay! me.
I'm really working on making fitness fun :)



Emnet


2 comments: