Sunday, October 9, 2011

Please save me from what you would have done differently

After my post yesterday followed by some more preping for my interview, I spent my entire afternoon shopping for a travel bag, and all other travel necessities along with an actual suit case (a case for my suit, because unless I wanted to carry an iron with me, which I will also have to buy, that is how I want to take my suit. Yes the suit did come with a case, for those of you smart people out there wondering why I have to buy one. But I threw it out. And I refuse to being called any synonyms of stupid, I know you are cooking in your head while you read this, because I have already gone through a week of bashing my head about it).

so then I got home and found out that the suit case I bought does not have a zipper, it has the actual zip on the entire suit case thing, but it doesn't have a zipper, so nothing to open/close the zip with. I mean, how do they even make things like that, do they make a zipper, zip it up and then take the zipper for future use on other bags, or do they sell zippers/zipheads or whatever you call them, separately? I spent six dollars on nothing, well not nothing. I actually spent 6 dollars to have someone dispose of a suit case I already had and now really really need. Super!

It took me a few minutes to get past that, but then I thought, my nice medstudent host, might just have an iron. I hope. So I just focused on preparing for the interview for the last time before bed. But I was too hyper to sleep, and I didn't even have any coffee yesterday I swear. I was just nervous I guess, although I kept telling myself I was not; there is no other explanation for it. Therefore, I ended up getting to bed around 1:00AM, which led me to dismiss my alarm clock when it went off at 4, I simply dismissed it. 

This is one very important and often disastrous fact:
Sleepy Emnet has alot of will power TO SLEEP! I slept through a Mammalian Physiology Exam last semester, after staying up until 4:00 studying for it and deciding to get 3 hours of sleep before the test. No matter how important something is, when my brain is woken up after 2-4 hours of sleep, it forgets everything else and only continues to sleep. That's just how Emnet sleeps. 

This morning it could have cost me everything I ever woke up early for. At 5:00AM I woke up to a loud knocking on my door and realized I must have slept in (see: I get 5 hours of sleep and I know why I am awake, it comes to me. Same thing if I get 2 hours of sleep or less, I wake up and remember why I had to be awake). My friend who is also my ride and at 4:00AM like I warned him to was at my door yelling my name.

I am now awake and frantic! I put on my clothes, shoes, grab my stuff and walk out. 

We get gas, which took longer than usual because we first parked on the wrong side (gas tank opposite the pump), then the pump we parked at did not work (for Lord knows what reason). 

So it's 5:20 and we are on the road. We actually get to BWI fairly early, considering we left so late. Let's just say we drove at a steady above-limit-speed (I will not say what speed exactly, just because it is not advisable to drive as fast as we did and I would not want to give any indication that that saved the day, because it really didn't). 5:50 was not early enough. I know DUH!
But they did have a 6:30 flight, which cost me just $50 more. God always rewards my hope and optimism. So I boarded that one and I was off to ATL. 

In the plane I was thinking, ROUGH MORNING! But nothing else can go wrong right? WRONG! I forgot my coat in the car. My suit coat. The one I need for my interview. The one I bought for my interview. 

Definitely an FML moment, what to do now?

At this point I just started thinking, are these signs or something? Because I also left all my liquid, which broke a lot of my norms for how I normally go out to face the world, with lotion, chapstick and on occasions like these my mac foundation. I didn't know about the 3.4 ounces rule (anything below is fine). Oh Joy! It just makes my morning merrier. 

I'll admit I am a klutz. 

I just sat in the airport thinking of other things that could go wrong. hmmm...let's see. Plane Crash? naaa, cuz then I'll be dead and won't care about the interview haha (I might still care, if the dead could care).

So I just spaced out and took a break from thinking about what if's and bad lucks. Then I put my ipod on, blasted Cold Play and decided to take break from this madness. After a few deep breaths and some well thought out plans I arrived in Nashville and met my host, who came with a friend and really helped me turn my day around. 

I am sitting in the Meharry Medschool library right now, and I feel like I should be doing something to make up for all the classes I missed. so let me get to it.

More updates later



No comments:

Post a Comment