Monday, November 21, 2011

Inspired

Today I celebrate my friend, Blen Ayele.

This person, dear and near to my heart, is one of the most highly motivated people I know. A few weeks ago, she gave a speech on TEDx a globally recognized non profit foundation that successfully carries out it's mission to expand 'ideas worth spreading.'

TED is where I go to when I am in no mood to study on a miserable Friday night, and I need to be reminded of why I shouldn't just quit it all and become a bum. The website houses talks from so many inspired souls. One of my all time favorite speeches is the one by Steve Jobs at the 2005 Stanford University commencement. I found it while poking around the website, looking to be inspired. I have watched it atleast 40 times (no exaggeration) and I have not watched it for the last time yet. This amazing site has now added another exhilarating speech by Blen.

This is HUGE! Blen and I came to the U.S a little over 4 years ago. Back home we went to the same school for all 12 years before college. We were in the same class for most of those years. After we arrived to the U.S, Blen went to Ohio and I stayed in DC, where I had my brother who also came with me. Blen on other hand came to the U.S on her own, she has lived in Ohio for all four years pursuing her dreams and inspiring all others who have been blessed with her presence in their life. She has defeated multiple challenges to get to where she is and has taught me that obstacles are to be overcome. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed on a grey day and Blen is one to make the sun shine brighter. When I saw the speech, as you will TOO because it is a GREAT speech. You might not feel as overwhelmed with joy or pride as I was, but maybe you will be, if you can imagine what it takes for a girl who left home just after high school to transform into the woman that you now see.

Here's a quote from TED, which I think really reflects most of the speeches I have watched.
"We believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and ultimately, the world. So we're building here a clearinghouse that offers free knowledge and inspiration from the world's most inspired thinkers, and also a community of curious souls to engage with ideas and each other."




Enjoy, here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment